One of the many interesting events taking place nationwide as part of Maths Week 2022 (October 15 -23) is I’m a Mathematician Get me out of here! a student-led STEM enrichment activity where school students (Age 10 -18) connect with mathematicians through online real-time text-based chats. Here they can ask any maths questions they like and vote for their favourite mathematician. This event runs from today until October 21st, see Bring maths to life for your students! – I’m a Mathematician Ireland for more information and to book a slot.
Maths Week provides teachers a with an opportunity to promote maths across the school and for students to have some fun along the way. May 2006 saw the inaugural Maths Week and since then, it has grown to attract circa 400,000 participants annually across the island of Ireland. It has evolved over the years into a partnership of more than 50 organisations, including universities, institutes of technology, teacher training colleges, further education, professional bodies, museums, libraries and visitor centres and other groups, all united with the shared vision of making maths accessible to people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds.
Why not start by putting your school on the map by registering on the Maths Week website? To see what is happening near your school check out Upcoming Events – MATHS WEEK IRELAND. The list includes events for adults and the general public, third level, post-primary and primary school students.
Some other events to note:
- Maths Week 10 cent Challenge – Midlands Sciencemathsweek are inviting all primary schools in the Midlands to take part in the 10c challenge! This is a great chance to get your students thinking about Maths in a fun and interactive way!
- Maths In the City – Dublin – The Maths Week team will be taking their live pop-up maths exhibit to the streets of Dublin with shows and activities for all the family at the Bank of Ireland Plaza on College Green
- Munster Maths and Science Fair -The Munster Maths and Science fair takes place on Sunday the 16th of October at the Mallow GAA Sports Complex from 11am to 4pm. This will be a great opportunity for the whole family to learn about Maths and Science!
- Linking Mathematics with Unplugged Coding – Join the PDST Primary STEM team for a series of regional events linking Mathematics with Unplugged Coding this October. These 2-hour workshop will explore the links between unplugged coding, computational thinking and the mathematics curriculum.
- Maths Magic Through Spanish! – With the support from the Cervantes Institute, two secondary schools in Dublin will have the chance to have Dr Fernando Blasco to present his Maths Magic Show in their school to pupils studying Spanish.
So, time to get ready (And registered) for Maths Week 2022 and remember to share the fun on Twitter @mathsweek or #IUseMaths