Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Module 5 – Become a climate detective #277654
    Sandra Connolly
    Participant

      Question
      How does the amount of litter in our local area affect the environment?

      I would encourage pupils to take part by first discussing the types of litter they see around their school and local area. We could go on a short walk around the school grounds and record the different types and amounts of litter we find.

      Pupils could work in small groups to collect information and sort the litter into categories such as plastic, paper and food waste. They could then create a simple chart to show their findings.

      To keep pupils interested, I would give everyone a role and allow them to suggest ways of reducing litter. They could design posters, organise a clean-up or encourage other classes to recycle more.

      This would help pupils see how their own actions can make a positive difference to their local environment.

      in reply to: Module 4 – Earth Observation #277652
      Sandra Connolly
      Participant

        Using the Satellite Tracker app, I found five satellites: Aqua, ALOS, Envisat, Resurs-DK No.1 and ADEOS II.

        Aqua looks at water on Earth. It collects information about oceans, clouds, rain and water in the atmosphere.

        ALOS takes pictures of the Earth. It is useful for making maps and looking at forests and areas affected by natural disasters.

        Envisat studied the land, oceans, air and ice. It helped scientists learn more about climate change and the environment.

        Resurs-DK No.1 takes detailed pictures of the Earth. These pictures can be used for mapping and watching changes to the environment.

        ADEOS II collected information about the land, oceans and atmosphere.

        Satellites are very useful because they give us a view of the Earth from space and help us understand changes in our environment.

        this would be an interesting activity to do with the sixth class I have next year

        in reply to: Module 3 – The climate change challenge #277650
        Sandra Connolly
        Participant

          The film HOME and the other videos in this module show clearly how climate change is affecting our planet. I found the images very powerful because they show the beauty of the Earth but also the damage caused by human activity. The videos explain how burning fossil fuels, cutting down forests and using too many natural resources are contributing to global warming. They also show the importance of making changes now to protect the planet for the future.

          When introducing these climate change facts to pupils, I would keep the information simple and age appropriate. I would use short video clips, photographs and practical activities to make the topic interesting. Pupils could discuss changes they can make themselves, such as saving energy, reducing waste, recycling, walking or cycling when possible and using less plastic. I would also encourage group projects where pupils investigate climate change and create posters showing ways we can help the environment.

          in reply to: Module 2 – Introduction to Climate Change #277648
          Sandra Connolly
          Participant

            Module 2 Assignment – Climate Reporters

            I think the Climate Reporters activity is a good way to teach children about climate change. The video explains greenhouse gases in a simple and interesting way. The temperature prediction tool is also useful because children can see how temperatures may change in the future.

            I could use this activity with my class by showing the video first and having a short class discussion. The children could then work in pairs to use the temperature tool and talk about what they notice. Afterwards, they could act as “climate reporters” and create a short report explaining what they have learned.

            I think the activity could be improved by adding more pictures, simple experiments and examples that relate to children’s everyday lives. A short quiz or game at the end would also help check their understanding. Overall, it is an enjoyable and useful activity for teaching climate change

            in reply to: Module 1 – Weather & Climate #277647
            Sandra Connolly
            Participant

              Module 1 Assignment

              STEM education is about combining science, technology, engineering and maths in a practical way. It encourages children to ask questions, solve problems, work together and learn through real-life activities.

              I would use the “Nose Up High in the Sky” activity with my class. Before starting, we could set up a weather station in the school grounds. Children could record the temperature, rainfall, wind and cloud cover each day.

              This activity would develop STEM skills because pupils would observe, measure, record results and use simple technology to look at weather patterns. They could use maths to make charts or graphs of their results.

              I would lead the school by encouraging other classes to take part and share their findings. We could display our results on a school weather board and discuss how weather and climate are different.

              in reply to: Module 5 – Become a climate detective #274696
              Sandra Connolly
              Participant

                This is a great idea as there is a lot of food waste everyday . Would be great for children to see the difference using a brown bin can make to reduce food waste at home

                in reply to: Module 4 – Earth Observation #274355
                Sandra Connolly
                Participant

                  I agree that the activities in nose high in the sky are great for younger children , especially for a class that already have an interest in space. I think they would find it very interesting and would enjoy discussing and sharing their ideas

                  in reply to: Module 3 – The climate change challenge #274003
                  Sandra Connolly
                  Participant

                    I agree with showing the video in small clips . Although it is such an important matter I agree that it might be overwhelming for small children especially in one sitting . Using small clips can provoke class discussions project ideas and debates .

                    in reply to: Module 2 – Introduction to Climate Change #273982
                    Sandra Connolly
                    Participant

                      I think the video is very good and explains green house gases in a child friendly way . Given the current climate I think this would be a very important topic to cover with the class especially senior classes and could be the basis for interesting project work

                      in reply to: Module 1 – Weather & Climate #273676
                      Sandra Connolly
                      Participant

                        I agree that a wet and cloudy day would be good place to start with this as so much to look at – different cloud formations shapes etc.. I also think keeping a weather diary is a good idea to notice the change in patterns

                        Sandra Connolly
                        Participant

                          I also had not heard of Kerry’s dark sky resource and will be interested to look at it this year

                          in reply to: Module 4 – Dark Skies and Biodiversity #242273
                          Sandra Connolly
                          Participant

                            Great idea to link in with the geeen schools committee

                            in reply to: Module 3 – Light Pollution #242250
                            Sandra Connolly
                            Participant

                              A great idea to use mind mapping and also the research projects at home

                              in reply to: Module 3 – Light Pollution #242234
                              Sandra Connolly
                              Participant

                                Doing a research project at home is a great idea .

                                in reply to: Module 2 – Looking Up & SSE #242209
                                Sandra Connolly
                                Participant

                                  Sky view and Stellarium are great resources for use in the classroom and I look forward to using them this year

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                Shopping Basket
                                Scroll to Top