Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Module 5 – Become a climate detective #268830
    Majella Murray
    Participant

      <div dir=”auto”>How is climate change affecting rainfall and flooding around the Cooley Peninsula?</div>
      <div dir=”auto”></div>
      <div dir=”auto”>I chose this question because it relates to an issue that pupils may be able to see and experience in their local area. Living and attending school on the Cooley Peninsula gives pupils an opportunity to investigate their own environment rather than looking at climate change as something happening somewhere else. I would encourage pupils to work together to collect rainfall data over a period of time and compare it with previous years where possible. They could also investigate local areas where flooding occurs and discuss possible reasons for this. Using photographs, maps, graphs and weather data would help pupils to present their findings. I think this would encourage curiosity and allow pupils to develop skills in Science, Geography, Mathematics and data analysis. It would also give pupils a sense of ownership over their learning, as they would be investigating a real issue within their own local community.</div>

      in reply to: Module 5 – Become a climate detective #268827
      Majella Murray
      Participant

        This is a fantastic question as I can actually see myself how the green area sourrounding my own school has definitely decreased in size in recent times due to building size increasing and road works outside the school to make the area safer for children coming to and from school. It has made me think about the vast amount of huge trees which we once had.  I actually had a grandparent commenting about how the landscape had changed so much since her last visit to Ireland.

        in reply to: Module 4 – Earth Observation #268809
        Majella Murray
        Participant

          I used the satellite tracker to see what satellites were passing over the Cooley Peninsula and was surprised by the variety of objects still orbiting Earth. The five I found were Ariane 40 R/B, COSMO-SkyMed 1, SL-16 R/B, Kosmos 1867 and Resurs-DK No.1. I found it particularly interesting that some, such as COSMO-SkyMed 1 and Resurs-DK No.1, were designed to observe and collect information about Earth, while Ariane 40 R/B and SL-16 R/B are actually parts of old rockets. Kosmos 1867 was also interesting as it was used for ocean surveillance.

          I think this would be a great activity to use in my school on the Cooley Peninsula. Pupils could use the tracker to identify satellites passing over our local area and investigate what they are used for. This could lead to discussions about space, technology, weather forecasting, GPS and environmental monitoring. It would make the topic of space more engaging by showing pupils that satellites are constantly moving above them, even when they cannot see them.

          However I did find the app quite confusing to use at first and I was hesitant when it asked me to subscribe before accessing some features.  I think this could be a barrier to me using it in the future in a classroom setting.

          in reply to: Module 4 – Earth Observation #268806
          Majella Murray
          Participant

            I have to agree with this post.   I have had the same experiences using the satellite trackers with regard to subscribing to use any of the app features.  This has been quite discouraging and I don’t think it is something I will be encouraging the children to use as parents may end up paying hefty payments to use the services.

            in reply to: Module 3 – The climate change challenge #268715
            Majella Murray
            Participant

              Module 3

              Watching Home and the other videos in this module made me think about how I could introduce climate change in a meaningful way to pupils in an ASD classroom in my country school in County Louth. I feel that the visual aspect of Home would be particularly useful for my pupils, as images and videos can sometimes communicate ideas more effectively than lengthy explanations. However, I would need to carefully select shorter clips, as the length and amount of information could be overwhelming for some pupils.

              I would introduce the topic through familiar experiences in our local environment. Being in a rural school, pupils have opportunities to see farms, fields, animals, trees and the changing seasons around them. I could use these familiar examples to discuss how our environment is changing and why it is important to look after it. Activities such as planting seeds, recycling, collecting litter or observing local wildlife could make the learning practical and meaningful.

              In an ASD classroom, I would use visual supports, clear language, repetition and a structured routine. I would also allow pupils different ways to participate, such as speaking, drawing, pointing or completing a practical task. I think this would make climate change more accessible and relevant to all pupils.

              in reply to: Module 3 – The climate change challenge #268712
              Majella Murray
              Participant

                Yes I definitely agree with the use of selected clips rather that watching the complete video as especially from my own experience of teaching children with additional needs they can become easily distracted and lose concentration so lesser clips would be more manageable.

                in reply to: Module 2 – Introduction to Climate Change #268686
                Majella Murray
                Participant

                  Activity 3:

                  Climate Reporters was an engaging way to introduce the topic of greenhouse gases and their impact on climate change. The video used clear explanations and the temperature prediction tool provided a visual way for pupils to explore how different levels of emissions can affect future temperatures. In my ASD classroom, I would adapt the activity by breaking it into smaller, structured steps and using visual supports to reinforce key concepts. Pupils could work with a partner or in small groups, depending on their individual needs, to discuss the predictions and share their ideas. To make the lesson more meaningful, I would include examples of how climate change affects the local environment in Dundalk and provide a simple worksheet with visual prompts and guiding questions. An extension activity could encourage pupils to identify practical ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions at home and at school, helping them make meaningful connections between the lesson and their everyday lives.

                  in reply to: Module 2 – Introduction to Climate Change #268682
                  Majella Murray
                  Participant

                    The PAX lesson  for me demonstrated how consistent routines and positive behaviour strategies can create a calm and supportive learning environment. Working in an ASD classroom, I can see how these approaches would benefit my pupils by providing clear expectations, encouraging positive choices, and helping to develop self-regulation skills. I would like to incorporate some of these strategies into my own teaching to promote engagement, independence, and a positive classroom atmosphere.

                    in reply to: Module 1 – Weather & Climate #268631
                    Majella Murray
                    Participant

                      Module 1 assignment:

                      Liston explains that STEM is more than teaching Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics as separate subjects. It is about making connections between these areas and applying learning to real-life situations. This links well with the “Is it weather or climate?” and “Weather Detectives” activities.

                      After completing both activities, I think they would work particularly well in my school based on the Cooley Peninsula in County Louth. The local environment provides many opportunities to explore weather and climate, with the sea, mountains and surrounding countryside. For example, pupils could record the temperature, rainfall, wind direction and cloud cover around the school and use this information to create graphs and identify patterns.

                      I would use Activity 1 as an introduction to help pupils understand the difference between weather and climate, while Activity 2 would allow them to investigate weather through collecting their own data. I think the activities could be improved by including more local examples and real weather data from the Cooley Peninsula. This would make the learning more meaningful and help pupils connect STEM with their everyday environment. Overall, I feel these activities encourage curiosity, teamwork, observation and problem-solving while making STEM more engaging for pupils.

                      in reply to: Module 1 – Weather & Climate #268624
                      Majella Murray
                      Participant

                        I love this idea.  The concept of organising math’s through weekly learning stations is one that really appealed to me. In particular, I was inspired by the idea of including a STEM-based station, as it offers children the opportunity to apply their mathematical knowledge in practical and engaging ways. This is an approach I plan to introduce in my own classroom next year because it promotes investigation, teamwork, and creative thinking while strengthening problem-solving skills.

                        in reply to: Module 3 – Stars, Space and Aliens #266920
                        Majella Murray
                        Participant

                          This is a brilliant idea to transfer skills taught in other lessons across to art so children can see thir ideas come to life.

                          in reply to: Module 1 – The Curious Minds/ESERO Framework #266911
                          Majella Murray
                          Participant

                            This is such a good idea and also one which is accessible to all kids in the classroom and can progress to objects outside if needed.  Thanks for that.

                            in reply to: Module 5 – Rockets & Alien Chemistry #266735
                            Majella Murray
                            Participant

                              Love the idea of a role play station across space week Monica.

                              I think the Rockets activity would be a great way to get my class excited about Space Week. Many children with ASD enjoy hands-on activities, so building and launching simple rockets would be a fun way to introduce the topic. I would start by showing pictures and short videos of real rockets and asking the children what they notice. We would talk about what rockets do and why people use them to explore space. I had previously taken in some polystyrene rockets into the classroom and let the kids launch them off a landing pad they had so much fun predicting whose rocket would go the furthest.

                              The children could then make their own paper rockets and predict which one they think will fly the furthest. After everyone has launched their rocket, we would compare the results and talk about what happened. This would encourage the children to observe, ask questions and share their ideas.

                              To make the activity accessible for all learners, I would use a visual timetable, clear step-by-step instructions and model each part of the task before the children begin. I would also allow extra time and provide support where needed. Children could record their results using pictures, photographs or simple worksheets, depending on their individual needs.

                              As part of Space Week, I would build on this activity with other space-themed experiences throughout the week, such as reading a story about space (Mousetronaut)  making planet crafts, exploring shadows outside, and creating a role-play space station. We could display the children’s rockets, artwork and photographs on a Space Week display so they can look back at what they have learned. I think linking all of the activities together would help keep the children engaged and make their learning more meaningful and memorable.

                              in reply to: Module 5 – Rockets & Alien Chemistry #266725
                              Majella Murray
                              Participant

                                I also love this book it definitely captures the children’s imagination through all the lovely illustrations in the book.

                                in reply to: Module 4 – School Self Evaluation & Science Skills #266722
                                Majella Murray
                                Participant

                                  Fantastic ideas put forward Monica definitely worth thinking about.

                                  I really enjoyed exploring the Hands-on Classroom Themed Activities in this module. They reminded me how important it is to provide children with opportunities to learn through practical, meaningful experiences. In my role teaching autistic pupils in a primary school on the outskirts of Dundalk, I have found that many children respond particularly well to hands-on activities that are structured, visual, and engaging. STEM activities provide excellent opportunities for pupils to explore, investigate, and learn at their own pace while developing communication, social, and problem-solving skills.

                                  In my classroom, I would use these activities in small groups, ensuring that tasks are broken down into clear, manageable steps with visual supports where needed. For example, I could introduce a simple engineering challenge e,g bridge building challenge using everyday materials, allowing pupils to plan, build, test, and improve their designs. I would encourage pupils to make predictions, explore different solutions, and reflect on what worked well. Many of my pupils benefit from opportunities to learn through doing rather than through written tasks alone, so I would use photographs, symbols, drawings, and oral discussion to help them record and share their learning.

                                  As a next step towards a STEM-focused School Self-Evaluation (SSE), I think it would be valuable for our school to review the STEM opportunities currently available for pupils across all settings, including our autism classes. Gathering evidence through teacher reflection, classroom observations, pupil engagement, and examples of pupils’ work would help identify what is working well and where further development is needed.

                                  Following this review, we could set realistic targets within our SSE plan, such as increasing the number of practical STEM activities across the school, ensuring that investigations are accessible to pupils with a range of learning needs. As a staff, we could also share ideas and resources that have been successful in supporting autistic pupils, helping to build confidence and consistency across classrooms.

                                  Being located on the outskirts of Dundalk also provides opportunities to strengthen links with the local community. We could invite parents or local businesses with STEM-related careers to speak to the children or organise a whole-school STEM Week where all pupils can take part at a level appropriate to their needs. Celebrating pupils’ achievements through displays and photographs would be beneficial.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                Shopping Basket
                                Scroll to Top