Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
August 19, 2026 at 4:14 pm in reply to: Module 5 – The Past, Present and Future of Ireland’s Dark Skies #277715
I really like how you have connected the night sky with Irish history, traditions and folklore. Exploring Samhain and the traditions around light and darkness would give children a meaningful way to understand how people in the past viewed the night. I particularly like the idea of collecting local oral history, as children could learn directly from grandparents and older members of the community. This would make the project more personal and could also help preserve stories and traditions that may be forgotten over time. The class book or digital presentation would be a lovely way to share what they have discovered. I also think comparing Irish traditions with festivals from other cultures would help children appreciate how different communities have their own beliefs and ways of celebrating light and darkness. Overall, it sounds like a very engaging cross-curricular project with lots of opportunities for discussion, storytelling and learning outside the classroom.
August 19, 2026 at 4:13 pm in reply to: Module 5 – The Past, Present and Future of Ireland’s Dark Skies #277714I would introduce the idea of a “Design Your Own Dark Sky Place” to my Senior Infant class by first talking about what we can see in the night sky and why it can sometimes be difficult to see stars. We would discuss light pollution and how too much artificial light can affect people, animals and our view of the sky.
I would then show the children pictures of different outdoor areas and ask them to identify where there is too much or too little light. Working in small groups, the children could design their own dark sky area using paper, cardboard and recycled materials. They could include houses, trees, roads and streetlights, while thinking carefully about where lights should be placed.
The children could use torches to test their designs and see how they could reduce unwanted light. Each group could explain their design to the class and discuss why they made certain choices. This would make the activity practical, creative and enjoyable while helping children understand the importance of protecting dark skies.I really like your idea of using Phoenix Park as a starting point for exploring biodiversity. Being so close to such a large natural area gives the children a great opportunity to learn outside the classroom and observe wildlife in a real environment. I especially like the comparison between Phoenix Park and the school grounds, as it would help the children understand why different species live in different habitats. The investigation into nocturnal wildlife is also a great way to link biodiversity with light pollution. Looking at bats, moths and birds would make the impact of artificial light more relevant and easier for the children to understand. Creating a biodiversity map is a great final activity as it allows the children to show what they have learned while also thinking about practical ways to improve their own school environment.
I would engage my Senior Infant class by starting with a discussion about the plants, insects, birds and other animals that they notice around our school and local area. We could take a short nature walk around the school grounds and encourage the children to look carefully and record what they find using drawings, photographs or simple tally charts. We could talk about where different animals live and what they need to survive.
I would then introduce the idea of light pollution and ask the children if they think artificial light at night could affect animals. We could investigate this by looking at areas around the school that are lit at night and areas that are darker. The children could predict which areas might have more insects or other wildlife. We could also use torches to explore how different levels of light affect a small model habitat. This would help the children understand that too much artificial light can disturb animals, insects and their natural behaviours, while encouraging them to care for biodiversity in their local area.I really enjoyed reading about your experience of living in such a dark sky area. It sounds like the children have a great opportunity to experience the night sky and seeing so many stars must make astronomy much more meaningful for them. I also think it is interesting how the change to bright white LEDs has affected the area, especially with the extra lighting from nearby farms. The idea of carrying out a survey of the school lighting is a great way to get the children involved and help them understand how light pollution can affect what we see in the sky. I like your idea of extending the survey into their homes as well, as this could encourage families to think about unnecessary lighting. Combining the project with a biodiversity survey would also be a great way to show the children that light pollution can affect more than just stargazing.
In my local area of Monaghan town, light pollution is something that children can easily notice, especially around streetlights, shops, car parks and houses. The bright lights can create sky glow and make it harder to see stars clearly. It can also affect wildlife and wastes energy. The module highlights how important it is to understand where light is needed and where it is not.
I would engage my Senior Infant class by first asking them what they notice when they look at the sky at night. We could look at pictures of Monaghan during the day and at night and discuss the differences. We could then take a short walk around the school area, with an adult, to identify different light sources and record them using drawings. Back in the classroom, the children could make a model streetscape using torches and cardboard shields. They could test different designs and see which allowed us to see more stars. This would make the learning practical, fun and meaningful.I agree that the ESERO Moon lesson is very adaptable and would work well with different age groups. I particularly like your point about getting children to realise that the Moon can also be seen during the day, as this could lead to lots of interesting questions. The hands-on activity with the torch, ball and child representing Earth sounds like a great way to make the learning more meaningful. I also think the Moon Observation Log would be a lovely way for children to record their learning over time. The videos could also help to keep the children engaged and support those who learn better through visual activities.
For my Senior Infant class, I would introduce the topic by asking the children what they think they can see in the evening sky. I would use Stellarium on the interactive whiteboard to show the children the night sky and allow them to see how it changes during autumn. This would encourage the children to observe, ask questions and make predictions.
I would create a simple observing chart for September, October and November. We would check the evening sky together and record any planets we could see, using pictures and colours rather than lots of writing. Saturn would be a good planet to focus on, as it is clearly visible during autumn. Uranus and Neptune can also be observed, although these are more difficult to see.
I would encourage the children to draw what they see and share their ideas with the class. We could also use a torch and ball activity to help explain how planets move. This would make the activity fun, practical and engaging for the children.I really agree with your point about STEM being much more than just teaching science. I also like the idea of using space and aviation as real-life contexts, as it gives children something interesting and meaningful to explore. The use of Google Earth, torches and polystyrene balls sounds like a great way to make learning about the seasons more hands-on and visual. I think your final point is especially important, as managing large classes during practical activities can be challenging. Having clear instructions and a focused learning objective would help keep the activity on track while still allowing children to investigate and ask questions. Overall, I think this is a really practical approach to making STEM engaging for pupils.
-
This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by
Natasha Heavin.
Observing the Sun with Senior Infants
I would begin by asking the children what they notice about the Sun in the sky and where they think it goes at different times of the day. This would follow the Curious Minds/ESERO approach of engaging, investigating and reflecting.
Over one school day, we could observe the Sun in the morning, around lunchtime and in the afternoon. The children could look safely from the playground or classroom window and describe where the Sun is. I would introduce simple words such as morning, midday, afternoon, east and west. We could use a large playground map and mark the Sun’s position using stickers or drawings. Each child could record what they see in a simple observation sheet, using pictures and a few words.
We could also notice how shadows change during the day. At the end, we would compare our observations and talk about what changed. Some children might notice the Sun appears to move across the sky, which could lead to more questions and investigation.August 12, 2026 at 5:17 pm in reply to: Module 5: Looking Back and Looking Forward Scientific Heritage and Art #274531I really like the idea of using a multi-disciplinary approach, especially with a Senior Infant class. Having different stations such as art, music, drama and writing would give every child a chance to get involved in a way they enjoy. I also think the idea of bringing local heritage to life through hands-on activities would make the learning much more meaningful and memorable for the children.
August 12, 2026 at 5:15 pm in reply to: Module 5: Looking Back and Looking Forward Scientific Heritage and Art #274530For a Senior Infant class, I would plan a year-long project exploring the natural and scientific heritage of our local area. We could begin by taking short walks around the school and local park to observe trees, flowers, birds, insects and other wildlife. The children could use simple recording sheets, drawings and photographs to record what they find during each season. This would link with the biodiversity work from the earlier modules. We could also use maps and aerial photographs to explore the local area and talk about important places and features. The children could learn about a local scientist, engineer or other person who has contributed to the area, keeping this simple and age appropriate. We could include maths by counting and sorting plants or animals, and art through nature drawings, leaf rubbings and creative projects. English could involve stories and talking about their discoveries. I would aim for outdoor learning every two weeks, keeping activities fun and hands-on so all children are involved
I really like the idea of using the Birr Castle bridge as a starting point, as it gives the children a real example to look at. The hands-on building and testing would make maths more enjoyable, especially with measuring, counting and comparing. I also think getting the children to explain their designs would help build their confidence and problem-solving skills.
For a bridge design challenge, I would use the suspension bridge in Birr Castle Demesne as inspiration, as well as a local bridge that connects the island walk to the park. I would begin by discussing what makes a bridge strong and looking at different bridge shapes and materials. The children could then work in small groups to design their own bridge using recyclable materials such as cardboard, lolly sticks, string and paper. They would first draw their plan and decide what materials they need before building it. This would encourage teamwork, creativity and problem solving.
Maths could be included by measuring the length and width of their bridge and comparing the different designs. For Senior Infants, I would focus on simple measuring, counting, comparing lengths and recognising 2-D and 3-D shapes. The children could test how much weight their bridges can hold using small objects and record the results. Afterwards, we would discuss what worked well, what didnt and how they could improve their designs.
I really like the idea of making this a year-long project, as it would give the children a chance to see how biodiversity changes with the seasons. I also think using apps like Seek and Merlin would make outdoor learning more intersting and engaging for the pupils. The links with maths, science, geography and art would also make it easy to include biodiversity across different subjects.
-
This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by
-
AuthorPosts