Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
August 21, 2026 at 1:05 pm in reply to: Module 2: Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Education #278835
I agree that personalised learning is one of the biggest advantages of AI in the classroom. The ability to quickly create different levels of tasks and questions could be a huge support for teachers and help keep all pupils engaged and appropriately challenged. I also like your idea of using tools such as Vidnoz AI to make learning more interactive and bring topics to life. However, I share your concern about pupils relying too heavily on AI to complete their work. I think teaching pupils how to use AI responsibly, while still encouraging independent research and critical thinking, will be really important.
August 21, 2026 at 12:59 pm in reply to: Module 2: Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Education #278827This module changed my understanding of how AI can support teaching and learning. I had not fully appreciated the range of opportunities it can offer within the classroom, particularly in relation to meeting the individual needs of pupils. AI can assist teachers in creating differentiated and personalised resources, which can be particularly valuable when working with pupils of different abilities and learning needs. I also learned that, when used responsibly, AI can work alongside a teacher’s knowledge and experience rather than replace it. It can support areas such as identifying learning needs, creating engaging activities, improving accessibility and helping teachers make informed decisions. I was introduced to a number of useful tools, including Immersive Reader, Microsoft Dream Space and Minecraft Education, which I feel could help make learning more engaging and accessible for pupils. While I can see many advantages to using AI, I also recognise that teachers need appropriate training and guidance to use these technologies effectively. Continued professional development in this area will be important as AI becomes a greater part of education.
I completely agree with your reflection. AI can be a valuable support for teachers by helping with lesson planning, differentiation and creating engaging activities. I also agree that it should be introduced gradually and used alongside teacher judgement rather than replacing traditional teaching. Tools such as MagicSchool AI and Diffit can save time while helping to meet the different needs of pupils. I think teaching children to use AI responsibly and critically is also very important as AI becomes a bigger part of education and everyday life.
Lesson Plan: Exploring AI in the Classroom
My lesson will introduce students to the basic concepts of artificial intelligence (AI), including machine learning, generative AI, data, algorithms, and responsible AI use. Students will begin by discussing where they encounter AI in everyday life, such as search engines, recommendation systems, voice assistants, and social media. I will then demonstrate a generative AI tool and explain how it produces responses based on patterns in data.
Students will work in small groups to use an AI tool to generate an explanation or example related to the lesson topic. They will then evaluate the AI-generated content for accuracy, bias, missing information, and reliability. This activity will encourage students to see AI as a learning tool rather than simply accepting its responses as fact. The lesson will conclude with a discussion about ethical issues, including privacy, bias, academic integrity, and responsible use of AI.
Reflection
I plan to use AI as a supportive teaching and learning tool rather than as a replacement for teacher instruction or student thinking. One of the main benefits I see is its ability to provide students with immediate examples, explanations, and opportunities to explore ideas from different perspectives. I could also use AI to differentiate learning materials by adapting explanations, generating practice questions, or providing additional support for students who need it.
At the same time, I think it is important to teach students to question AI-generated information. AI tools can produce inaccurate or biased responses, so students need to develop critical-thinking and digital-literacy skills alongside their ability to use the technology. I would therefore incorporate activities where students fact-check AI responses, identify potential bias, and discuss when AI use is appropriate.
I also plan to use AI in my own preparation to brainstorm lesson activities, create differentiated resources, and develop assessment ideas. Ultimately, I want students to become confident and responsible users of AI who understand both its possibilities and its limitations. The goal is to use AI to enhance creativity, engagement, and learning while keeping human judgement and meaningful student participation at the centre of the classroom.
I really liked your point about using AI to develop critical thinking rather than simply giving children answers. The example around 1916 is a great way of showing pupils how the wording of a prompt can influence the information and perspective that AI provides. Comparing different responses would definitely encourage children to question what they are reading and think more carefully about bias and reliability.
I also agree that Osmo could be particularly effective with younger children. The combination of hands-on activities and technology seems like a great way to keep children engaged while developing skills such as phonics, numeracy and problem-solving. I think both examples highlight how technology is most valuable when it supports children to think, explore and collaborate, rather than doing the thinking for them.
The AI application I would really like to try is ScratchJr, as I can see lots of opportunities to use it across the curriculum. I think it would be a fun and interactive way to introduce children to coding. Even simple directions such as forward, back, left and right can be used as learning opportunities.
I like that children can create characters, choose settings and change backgrounds, which could also link nicely with writing and storytelling. I could demonstrate the basics on the interactive whiteboard and then allow the children to work independently or in pairs.
I also think it would be great for children to share their projects with the class and explain what they have done. This would help develop their confidence and encourage them to try more challenging tasks. ScratchJr seems like a useful tool that could be adapted for children of different abilities.
I agree with you, especially about Gamma and the Microsoft Learning Accelerators. These tools could save teachers a lot of time when creating presentations and resources. I also think Reading Coach has great potential for supporting pupils at their own level and encouraging more independent learning. Your point about not becoming too reliant on AI is also important. We need to find a good balance and make sure we consider screen time, GDPR and children’s privacy when using these tools.
Part 1
I really enjoyed this module as it focused on lots of practical ways AI can be used in schools. I’m not very familiar with all the Microsoft tools, but I thought Microsoft Reading Coach was excellent. It has great potential for differentiation and pupil-led learning, so I shared the link with the SET teachers straight away. MagicSchool also stood out to me as it has a wide range of useful tools for teachers and school administrators. I signed up straight away, although I haven’t had much time to explore it yet.
Part 2
There seem to be more and more AI tools becoming available for teachers. I hadn’t heard of tools such as Twee, Gamma or Diffit before this module. While some tools offer free versions, subscriptions can become expensive for schools, especially when there are several different tools being used. Schools need to consider carefully whether a tool will be used regularly and provide good value for money before committing to a subscription. Ultimately, we will need to choose the tools that are most useful and will have the greatest benefit for our school.
I agree with you, especially the idea of AI being like a teaching assistant. It can save teachers a lot of time by helping with lesson plans, resources and differentiation. I also think it is important that teachers check what AI creates and use their own judgement. AI is a great support, but it should not replace the teacher or the relationship we have with our pupils. The ethical side of using AI is also very important.
I really agree with your points about AI being useful for helping teachers support different learners. Being able to quickly change resources and create different activities could save a lot of time, especially in SET. I also agree that AI cannot measure things like a child’s emotions, creativity or resilience. It is important that we teach children to question AI and not just believe everything it tells them. AI can be a great support, but the teacher is still very important.
I really like your idea of starting local and keeping sustainability simple for the children. The nature walk and mapping activity sound like great ways to make them aware of what’s already happening in their community, while also spotting areas to improve. I also love the idea of small projects like upcycling or growing herbs — they’re hands-on, realistic, and show pupils that even small actions can make a big difference.
Living in a coastal area, I see sustainability being practiced in many ways, particularly through local clean-up groups, beach care projects, and community initiatives that focus on protecting marine life. These efforts, such as reducing litter, recycling, and planting to prevent erosion, show how caring for the coast is directly linked to caring for the wider environment. It reminds me that sustainability is not only about global issues like climate change, but also about how we respect and maintain the natural resources right on our doorstep.
In the classroom, I would engage pupils by exploring these local practices and encouraging them to take part. For example, a beach walk could be turned into a litter audit, followed by discussions on the effects of plastic on marine animals. Pupils could design posters on ocean protection or even create small campaigns about reducing waste. By connecting learning to their own coastal environment, children can see firsthand how their actions contribute to sustainability and how they can help protect the seas for future generations.
I completely agree with this idea! Food tasting is such an engaging and hands-on way to bring learning to life in the classroom. Allowing children to actually try different types of seafood not only makes the lesson more exciting, but it also helps broaden their palates and encourages them to be more open to new foods. Pairing the tasting with a creative activity, like making posters about the nutritional benefits of different fish, adds an educational element that reinforces their learning. This way, students aren’t just hearing about nutrients in theory—they’re experiencing the food, connecting it to knowledge, and expressing what they’ve learned in a fun, memorable way. It’s a fantastic strategy for combining health education, creativity, and experiential learning all in one lesson.
As a teacher, I see great value in the nutrition of seafood and how this knowledge can be applied in the classroom. Seafood is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids that support brain development and heart health. Understanding these benefits has made me more aware of how important it is to help students make informed food choices.
In my classroom, I would use this topic as a way to connect science, health, and even culture. For example, I could have students compare the nutrients in seafood with those in other protein sources, or research different cultural dishes that use fish and shellfish. I could also bring in discussions about sustainability, teaching students how responsible choices around seafood affect the environment.
By weaving seafood nutrition into lessons, I can help students see the connection between what they eat, their personal health, and the world around them. This not only builds knowledge but also encourages healthy eating.
Hi Máire, I really like how you plan to use inquiry-based, cross-curricular learning. Using digital tools to encourage creativity and problem-solving is such a great idea and makes STEM more engaging. I also like your focus on inclusion and collaboration, as it means every student can take part and feel involved. Connecting your approach to the STEM Policy and SSE process is very practical too. Setting whole-school STEM goals and using evidence to improve teaching will help build a strong STEM culture across the school.
-
AuthorPosts