Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
For this activity, I would create an Earth Tube and one other planet tube to explore the differences between gravity and weight. I would begin by allowing the pupils to research the chosen planet and gather information about its size, appearance, atmosphere and gravity. The Earth Tube could be decorated using blue and green materials to represent the oceans and continents, while the second tube could reflect the surface and colours of the chosen planet.
The pupils could work in small groups to assemble and decorate the tubes, encouraging creativity and teamwork. Once completed, we could compare the planets and discuss how gravity affects our weight. I would explain that our mass stays the same wherever we travel, but our weight changes depending on the strength of gravity on that planet. Pupils could then calculate what their weight would be on the different planets using simple calculations. This practical activity would make an abstract scientific concept more meaningful and engaging while developing pupils’ research, mathematical and collaborative skills.
I really enjoyed reading your reflection, particularly your point about STEM needing to be connected to real-life events and experiences. I completely agree that children are much more engaged when they are given opportunities to investigate and discover concepts for themselves rather than simply being given the information.
I also really like your idea of using Google Earth alongside the polystyrene balls and torches. It would provide a great balance between technology and hands-on learning and would allow children to visualise something that can otherwise be quite difficult to understand.
Your final point about the practical challenges of hands-on STEM activities in large classes really resonated with me too. While these activities can be hugely beneficial, good organisation, clear instructions and defined group roles are essential to keep children focused on the learning objective. It is definitely about finding that balance between allowing children to explore freely while still providing enough structure to make the learning purposeful.
Plan to Observe the Moon
I would plan a Moon observation with my fourth-class pupils during the morning, choosing the Third Quarter Moon as the most suitable phase. At this stage, approximately half of the Moon is illuminated and it is visible in the morning sky. This makes it ideal for observing from school without needing pupils to stay outside at night. The pupils could work in small groups, using a simple observation sheet to record the date, time, weather conditions, Moon’s shape, position and what they notice about its surface. They could make drawings of the Moon and compare their observations over several weeks. This activity would develop pupils’ scientific observation skills while helping them understand the Moon’s changing phases.
Hi,
I really enjoyed reading your idea for using sundials as a practical way of teaching children about time, the Sun and the Earth. I particularly like how you have linked the activity with latitude, longitude and the children’s own school location, as this makes the learning very relevant and meaningful. Using iPads and Google Maps is also a great way of incorporating technology into the lesson while allowing the children to investigate for themselves. I think the opportunity for the children to make their own sundials and place them in the school garden would be particularly engaging. They could record the shadow at different times during the day and compare their results. I also like the links you made to Newgrange and how the position of the Sun has influenced buildings and our lives throughout history. This is a great example of how one simple activity can link Science, Geography, History, Maths and Digital Learning.
Hi Eileen,
I really like your idea of giving the children an Autumn Sky Observation Task Sheet. I think this would make observing the night sky much more purposeful and would encourage the children to develop good scientific observation skills. Recording the date, time, weather and direction, as well as drawing what they see, would give them a great record to look back on. I particularly like your idea of keeping a planet diary throughout the autumn, as the children could compare their observations and begin to notice how objects appear to change position over time. I would definitely consider using a similar observation diary with my Fourth Class when teaching this topic. It would also be a lovely opportunity to combine science with art and technology by allowing pupils to create digital records or presentations of their observations.
Hi Julie,
I really like your idea of involving the Green Schools Committee in carrying out a biodiversity survey of the school grounds. I think creating a map showing plants, trees, insects, birds and lighting would make the children much more aware of how their environment is connected. I particularly like your suggestion of creating wildflower areas and planting native hedgerows, as these could provide valuable habitats for pollinators and other wildlife. Exploring how light pollution affects nocturnal animals such as bats and moths would also be a very engaging way to encourage the children to think about how our everyday choices can impact biodiversity. I think this would be a great opportunity for children to become active participants in improving their own school environment.
I would engage my Fourth Class pupils in exploring biodiversity in our local area by starting with a nature walk around the school grounds and local area of Ashford and Wicklow. We could identify and record plants, insects, birds and other wildlife, using photographs, drawings and simple tally charts. We could then discuss the importance of each species and how they depend on their environment.
I would introduce the topic of light pollution and discuss how artificial light at night can affect biodiversity, particularly nocturnal animals such as bats, moths and other insects. Pupils could investigate where artificial lighting is most noticeable locally and consider how it might affect wildlife.
As a follow-up activity, pupils could create a biodiversity map of our school grounds, identifying areas that could be improved for wildlife. We could explore ways of reducing unnecessary lighting and creating darker, wildlife-friendly areas. This would encourage pupils to become more aware of their local environment and understand how small changes can help protect biodiversity.
August 10, 2026 at 7:55 pm in reply to: Module 5 – The Past, Present and Future of Ireland’s Dark Skies #273814Love this list , some I would never have even thought of , thank you su much . I will be sure to use them 🙂
August 8, 2026 at 9:15 pm in reply to: Module 5 – The Past, Present and Future of Ireland’s Dark Skies #273307Love this idea of thinking of the darkest place they have ever seen . Really imaginative and could road to some great art work and discussions for both younger and older classes. Could also be interesting to link in with feelings and emotions felt in the dark verses in the light .
August 8, 2026 at 9:11 pm in reply to: Module 5 – The Past, Present and Future of Ireland’s Dark Skies #273305There are many opportunities to connect songs, poems and art with the night sky in a fourth-class classroom. I would begin by introducing songs such as Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star and Fly Me to the Moon, encouraging pupils to listen carefully to the lyrics and discuss what they imagine when they hear them. We could explore poems about stars, the moon and space, focusing on rhyme, descriptive language and imagery. Pupils could then create their own short poems about what they might see if they looked up at the night sky.
Art would provide another creative way to explore the topic. We could look at famous paintings such as Vincent van Gogh’s The Starry Night and discuss the colours, movement and emotions created by the artist. Pupils could then create their own night-sky artwork using paint, chalk or pastels. This would allow them to combine science, creativity and imagination while developing an appreciation of the night sky.
I also found this very interesting about blue light and insects which led me in to research how light affects animals in general . This would be an interesting project to carry out with the kids in relation to light and how it effects both humans and animals .
Light pollution is caused by excessive artificial light at night, making it more difficult to see the stars and planets. In our local area of Wicklow Town and nearby Ashford Village, streetlights, shop signs, homes and traffic all contribute to brighter night skies. I would discuss with my Fourth Class how this affects our ability to observe constellations and planets during astronomy activities. We would also explore how light pollution impacts wildlife, such as bats, birds and insects, which rely on natural darkness for feeding and navigation. Pupils would compare the night sky in Wicklow Town with a darker rural location and consider why more stars are visible there. Together, we would brainstorm practical ways to reduce light pollution, such as switching off unnecessary outdoor lights, using downward-facing lighting and drawing curtains at night. This discussion would encourage environmental awareness while helping pupils understand the importance of protecting our dark skies for people and wildlife.
-
AuthorPosts