Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Poverty significantly impacts children by depriving them of basic needs and opportunities, with far-reaching consequences at both local and global levels. In a local context, children experiencing poverty may lack access to nutritious food, adequate healthcare, and quality education. Globally, children face extreme poverty especially in developing nations. These children are at risk of malnutrition, sickness and exploitation.
In order to encourage my students to take action to support the SDGs in Ireland, I would begin by educating students about the realities of poverty in Ireland. I would use case studies, documentaries, and guest speakers to illustrate the causes and effects of poverty on individuals and communities. Students should be encouraged to get involved with organizations and programs that tackle poverty issues within the community. This may include assisting at food distribution centers or homeless shelters to interact firsthand with individuals impacted by poverty. An experience that fosters empathy and insight into the struggles they endure.
Hi Naomi,
It is very interesting to get your opinion from working in a girls school as I have only ever dealt with mixed classes. I am also shocked at how the girls responded to the role of the doctor without the influence and voice of males in the classroom. I think that bringing a “real life” female doctor in to speak with the children was a great idea to link these stereotypical ideas with the real world.
Gender stereotypes have an impact on young students as they shape how they see themselves academically and socially early on in life. For instance, boys could feel compelled to steer clear of subjects such as the arts or humanities while girls might be dissuaded from exploring STEM disciplines. These biases can restrict their options and abilities resulting in opportunities and perpetuating societal prejudices.
In a classroom setting I witnessed a group project where the students were working on designing a playground area together. The male students in the group promptly assumed responsibility for organizing the layout and structure of the playground as they believed their skills in reasoning were superior. On the hand, the female students were assigned tasks related to selecting colors and decorative elements as those were seen as fittings for aesthetic roles. This assignment of duties perpetuated gender stereotypes by confining the boys to a restricted scope of creativity, in design and downplaying the potential contributions that girls could make to the structural aspects of the project.
Development education methodologies have the potential to address gender biases through encouraging thinking and questioning conventional beliefs effectively. Engaging students in activities such as debates and simulating scenarios can provide insights into the impact of stereotypes, on both individuals and communities. Studying real life examples and viewpoints can enhance their perspectives and foster empathy. I think it is important to create a welcoming learning atmosphere that encourages reflection and inclusivity. This will enable students to challenge stereotypes effectively while advocating for gender equality.
Hi Odhran,
I think the same with regards to the integration of development education and SESS subjects. Global issues like sustainability, human rights, and inequality definitely encapsulate what development education is all about and how to foster an empathy with these issues. I like your ideas about using real world resources in your teaching such as brining in news articles, documentaries, or guest speakers as it allows learners to make that connection between their learning and real-life experiences.
In schools, education on development holds significance as it aids students in grasping concerns and fosters critical thinking while urging them to participate actively in civic matters. Through the study of development along with human rights and social justice issues, students are empowered to be well informed and involved citizens who play a role in fostering positive transformations within their communities and worldwide.
To incorporate this teaching approach effectively, I would use case studies along with group discussions and hands on projects that delve into subjects such as poverty alleviation efforts and environmental conservation. Additionally, I would encourage students to take the lead in creating initiatives and fostering partnerships, with international organizations that will offer practical learning opportunities outside the classroom setting.
To motivate my coworkers to plan activities for development purposes I would begin with sharing proven instances and available materials that have been successful before diving into a workshop showcasing hands on methods of incorporating development education across various subjects. I would host joint planning sessions which would streamline the process and make it more attractive, for everyone involved.
-
AuthorPosts