Reply To: Module 3: Building a Future-Ready Classroom: Exploring SSE and Digital Integration

Home Forums Crafting a Game Based Learning Environment Module 3: Building a Future-Ready Classroom: Exploring SSE and Digital Integration Reply To: Module 3: Building a Future-Ready Classroom: Exploring SSE and Digital Integration

Maeve Kavanagh
Participant

Digital tools can create engaging lessons as they provide variety into the school day. I also find that the game based and competitive element is highly motivating. It enables all children to participate as the technology is highly accessible.

If I was to identify an area of improvement for my teaching it might be to use more technology in an integrated way to not only achieve subject objectives but to hopefully advance children’s digital skills by the end of the year e.g. to build their typing skills and the online safety awareness and doing it in a seamless manner while teaching other subjects. I think I would be inclined to set myself a goal of using laptops for 2 40 minute slots a week and create a routine of using them.

I have found the use of laptops really helpful when working in SET with senior classes in particular and highlighting the various tools that we can use in Word etc to make tasks easier and more accessible to all. Through my work on this I have then been able to pass this information onto other teachers and SNAs and encourage the pupils themselves to show others the tricks they have learned.

I would love to have a system in place in our school where Croke Park is used to have teach meets and teachers could share tips and tricks and things they have learned. These summer courses are so helpful and teachers are fountains of knowledge. I would be more than happy to show my peers the way Minecraft education can be used in classes from what I have learned so far.