Reply To: Module 3: Building a Future-Ready Classroom: Exploring SSE and Digital Integration

Home Forums Crafting a Game Based Learning Environment Module 3: Building a Future-Ready Classroom: Exploring SSE and Digital Integration Reply To: Module 3: Building a Future-Ready Classroom: Exploring SSE and Digital Integration

Deirdre Craughan
Participant

There’s no doubt that the use of digital tools in the classroom create engaging and interactive learning experiences. In my experience, the use of chromebooks and ipads in the classroom help to turn all subjects into interactive and fun activities and the children are definitely more engaged.

I think the children particularly love the fact that they don’t have to ‘write’ when they’re in use. Last year my class participated in TypingClub (very lucky to have a chromebook each) and I saw huge development in their typing skills. Up until the year before the children with dyslexia or educational needs only participated but going forward, I will continue to get the whole class involved.

I think one of the biggest benefits of digital tools in the classroom is inclusion. Technology allows some children to be included in the classroom in ways they have never been before. There are many apps and programmes that help children in special education to write, read and spell. Last year I was lucky enough to get my class signed up to Reading Eggs (subscription needed) for 2x 6 weeks blocks and they thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that they logged in and participated at home too. One big pro of this programme is that it is differentiated. The children take part in an assessment before they begin and then continue to work at their level.

Another benefit of the use of digital tools is collaboration. Technology makes it easier for students to collaborate and save their work. They enjoy creating digital collections of their research and ideas and creating documents/projects that are fully collaborative. Last year we used Google Classroom to share their projects/ groupwork with their parents.

These are of course only some of the benefits of the use digital tools in the classroom!