Reply To: Module 2 – The Moon, the Earth and the Sun

Cliodhna Kelly
Participant

I chose the sun and shadows.

For this activity I would use the Sun Book developed by Dr Maeve Liston of Mary Immaculate College, specifically the activity ‘Activity: Comparing Distances Away from and Sizes of the Earth, Moon and Sun’. I would begin with a discussion on common misconceptions about the sun, such as its size, distance from Earth, and role in the solar system. I would use questions to engage students and clarify misconceptions: “Which one is larger, the Earth or the Sun?” and “Is the Moon smaller than the Earth and Sun?”
    I would demonstrate by using a basketball to represent the Sun and discuss its size and characteristics. Then have two students walk the basketball to the end of a hallway, while others observe from a distance to understand how large objects appear smaller from afar, and discuss why the ball looks smaller from a distance and relate this to how we perceive the Sun and other celestial objects. Children would then create models of the Sun, Moon, and Earth using Marla clay, encouraging them to consider the relative sizes of these bodies. To finish we would discuss and compare the models created by the students, emphasising the scale and distance between the Sun, Earth, and Moon. Reinforce the concepts of heat and light sources, the necessity of light to see, and the dangers of looking directly at the Sun. Explore how shadows are formed by using the models and a light source to simulate the Sun’s light.

Scroll to Top