Reply To: Module 1 – The Curious Minds/ESERO Framework

Home Forums Teaching Space in Junior Classes Module 1 – The Curious Minds/ESERO Framework Reply To: Module 1 – The Curious Minds/ESERO Framework

Stephanie Conway
Participant

My name is Stephanie and I will be teaching 2nd class this year after being out of the classroom for the last 3 years.

My favourite fact about space is that one day on Venus is longer than one year.

The enquiry based activity I have chosen to discuss is the one to figure out what materials are best to keep ice-lollies/ice-cubes cool.

Trigger: I will have an ice-lolly left on a plate and will ask the children questions such as what they think will happen to the ice-lolly if it is just left there?

Wondering: I will then proceed to ask the children questions such as what happens to ice lollies on a hot summer day? I wonder how we could keep them from melting?

Starter questions: Why do you have to eat them fairly quickly? If you want to bring some home to your family do you think it would be a good idea to wrap them up? If so, what sort of stuff do you think would be best to wrap them up in?

Predict: Record children’s answers.

Conducting the Experiment: In groups the children will wrap their ice in the material provided to them. They will then walk around and observe each station making their predictions on which will be the first and last to melt.

Interpreting the results: Record which cube of ice melts 1st, 2nd and so on.

Extension: Ask the children if they can think of any other materials to use.

Teacher reflection with the children.

Scroll to Top