Reply To: Module 5 – Rockets & Alien Chemistry

Home Forums Teaching Space in Junior Classes Module 5 – Rockets & Alien Chemistry Reply To: Module 5 – Rockets & Alien Chemistry

Lourda Lillis
Participant

While I have always been mindful to engage with science week activities, I haven’t been engaging with space week or perhaps I incorporated the 2. This year I certainly plan to engage with the space week activities, and make it part of my aistear topic for the month.
To do this I will use some of the ideas set out below.
Begin by displaying images of stars, planets, and the moon. Use simple words like “sky,” “night,” and “lights” to describe these concepts. Encourage infants to look up and notice the sky above them.
Create a sensory activity using glow-in-the-dark stars and a soft, dark cloth. Allow infants to touch the stars and place them on the cloth. Dim the lights and let them see the stars glow, mimicking the night sky. This experience can spark their curiosity about space.
Provide infants with paint or markers and a large paper or canvas. Assist them in creating artwork depicting the moon and stars. Use phrases like “moon shape” and “twinkling stars” to introduce vocabulary related to space.
Use a cardboard box to make a pretend rocket. Sit the infants inside, and gently rock the box to simulate a space adventure. Incorporate phrases like “zooming to the stars” and “exploring space.”
Engage infants with a simple space-themed song, incorporating actions like “twinkle fingers” for stars and “circle arms” for the moon. This combination of music and movement will reinforce their understanding of space elements.
Gather infants in front of a mirror and use a flashlight to create a beam of “moonlight.” Guide their hands to touch the “moonlight” and observe their reflections. Describe the experience using words like “bright” and “shiny.”
Wrap up the lessons by revisiting the images of space and summarizing the experiences using the new vocabulary
Through this interactive lesson, infants will begin to develop an awareness of space and its elements, setting the foundation for future learning about the cosmos.

Scroll to Top