Reply To: Module 5 – Climate Change

Pauline Cahill
Participant

I think the thing that is most noticeable in our area is how much heavier the rain is as well as the increase in the amount of rain. The heavy showers are unpredictable and can often result in flash flooding in the area. These heavy showers often coincide with the arrival or dispersal of children from school. This has impacted the way in which children travel to school, as well as less yard time.

I teach 3rd Class and I have heard the children discuss climate change. They are very aware of the things like electric cars and the importance of disposing of their rubbish correctly and recycling. There are a number of ways in which we could approach this.

I think the first thing to do would be to revise ‘The Water Cycle’ so that children are aware of where rain comes from.

I would then continue with the lessons on Climate Change using the Plan International Teachers Handbook so that they would have a good understanding of what it is and what is happening in the world.  Using this knowledge, we would look at what we could do to help in this specific area or if an overall approach would be more appropriate.

Three actions that could be taken to slow down climate change in general are:

-Ensure that waste is disposed of correctly, recycling and composting where possible.

-Encourage the children to use scooters, bikes, buses etc. to get to school where possible.

-Encouraging the children to support local where possible.

Scroll to Top