Reply To: Module 5 – Climate Change

Darragh Greene
Participant

In my local area, the effects of climate change, particularly flooding, have become more pronounced over the years due to the unpredictably of the now common heavy downpours overwhelming our drainage systems and causing flooding in low-lying areas. This has not only led to property damage but also poses risks to the safety and well-being of our community members. Witnessing these changes firsthand is a stark reminder of the urgent need to address climate change.

To engage my students in exploring this issue, I would adopt an age-appropriate approach. Firstly, I’d organize interactive sessions where I explain the concept of climate change using simple language and relatable examples. We would use visuals and stories to help them grasp the idea. Next, I’d take them on a nature walk, discussing the impact of flooding on local plants and animals, fostering a connection between climate change and their surroundings.
Hands-on activities like creating mini “flood models” using everyday materials would help them understand the mechanics of flooding. Collaborative projects such as making posters or short videos to raise awareness within the school and local community would empower them to take action.
Three actions that I would encourage them to take to slow down climate change are:

1.Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Teach them the importance of conserving resources by reducing waste, reusing items, and recycling materials like paper, plastic, and glass.
2.Plant Trees and Gardens: Engage them in planting trees and creating small gardens, explaining how these actions contribute to absorbing carbon dioxide and improving air quality.

3.Energy Saving Habits: Encourage them to adopt energy-saving habits like turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and to unplug chargers.

In my classroom, I envision a lively and engaged atmosphere. I would use colorful visuals, interactive discussions, and hands-on activities to make the learning experience enjoyable and impactful. Field trips to the local estate and farmland affected by the flooding would create a Personal tangible connection to the reality of Climate change and By connecting the local effects of climate change to their everyday lives, I would empower my pupils to become young climate advocates, equipped with the knowledge and enthusiasm to make a positive difference in our world

Scroll to Top