Reply To: Module 1 – Introduction to Development Education

Anderley Kooner
Participant

1) The article  ‘The Role of Global Citizens in Today’s World’ (Ehigie, 2021) was very well written and as practitioners in todays schools and society it is important now, more than ever, to reflect on our own subconscious perspectives and potential biases and reflect on how we can improve ourselves and therefore the education of those we teach. Development Education is a brilliant way to start this process.

The lessons and activities provided within the PowerPoint had some excellent ideas for engaging children and sparking discussions within the classrooms around the topics within Development Education. I believe for something to become effective it needs to be embedded within the school day and ethos which takes time and consistent reflection and reviews. I would plan to implement some of the lessons and ideas myself before bringing them to a whole staff meeting with an aim of giving staff time to implement them and then meet again to review. In time, this could then hopefully become an embedded part of the curriculum across the school.

Scroll to Top