Reply To: Module 5 – Climate Change

Teresa Gillespie
Participant

Climate change has had a marked effect economically in my area. The reason I am aware of this is because I have close friend in the Chamber of Commerce . Hotels, restaurants, bars and places of interest which would normally be operating at full capacity in July are experiencing record cancellations of bookings which has been attributed to the incessant rain in the last few weeks. Families with young children in particular are choosing to take to the skies and head for a more sunny clime rather than have to go to the extra expense of entertaining children in indoor places when they can’t take them to the beach, to a playground, hillwalking or other outdoor leisure pursuits because of the weather.

This could be explored further in the classroom by taking a look at levels of precipitation in Ireland in the last year. October 2022, March 2023 and July 2023  have had the highest levels of rainfall for those months since records began in Ireland.

Three actions to make the world a better place and slow down climate change:

1) Be more aware of our  own carbon footprint and the effect  our non essential air travel has on climate change.

2) Make an effort to live more sustainably by avoiding single use plastic, donating unwanted items, saving water, reducing meat consumption, reducing /eliminating fast fashion purchases, making homes more energy efficient, reducing food waste etc

3) Clean up the local environment by disposing of unwanted goods properly and educating others to do the same and participating in local clean ups of parks, rivers, lakes, beaches  organised by Tidy Towns or other  environmental organisations.

Scroll to Top