Reply To: Module 5 – Climate Change

We have noticed that seagulls are making their nests on the roof of our school in the last few years.You can see seagulls scavenging and swooping in parks and schoolyards near bins  looking for food, something which was not seen 20 years ago.Seagulls are moving inland because of the lack of fish in the oceans because of over fishing and climate change.

Local flooding is another  factor which denotes climate change and global warming.Many houses in the school locality were flooded a few times in the last 10 years and we even had a problem with flooding in our lower yard because of torrential, monsoon type rainfall in short space of time.

We have a very pro active Coiste Glas which is making the pupils aware of Climate Change issues and getting the children active in doing project work and presentations and going on a visit this year to the  Dublin Waste to Energy (Covanta Plant) in Ringsend.The children were very animated and informed after  their visit there.I think that it really opened their eyes to the need to reduce our production of waste.

1. I would emphasise the need for reducing waste within the school itself e.g the use of reusable water bottles and lunch boxes.

2. To arrange recycling / swop shops in the school maybe once every term to swop school uniform items, football boots and helmets, books, games and toys to emphasise the need to re-use and pass on items as opposed to dumping good usable items in bins.

3. I would arrange that all classes should be able to visit a landfill and the  National Waste to Energy Plant in Ringsend to give the pupils a more realistic view of their consumer consumption and the ever increasing prodution of waste and its implications for us and our planet.

Scroll to Top