Reply To: Module 1 – Introduction to Development Education

Aoife Coen
Participant

I thoroughly enjoyed the article ‘The Role of Global Citizens in Today’s world. I feel it is extremely well written piece that helps us recognise the importance of development education through fostering global citizenship. The author gave added gravitas to the situation through the description of his personal account. I particularly liked the point he made the system of self explaining that by improving ourselves is the starting point of being a global citizen and this can be achieved through education.

The school I teach in has a number of children from various countries and cultures and like all classrooms this has grown substantially this year with the influx of Ukrainians. It makes the whole topic of development education more real for all pupils as they witness first hand how humanitarian need is important for all to be aware of and work towards reducing it. Inequality is rife at the moment due to this war between Russia & Ukraine and we must try make a positive from a negative and use it to teach how unjust governments/society can be and learn how to act on it.

Scroll to Top