Reply To: Module 1 – Introduction to Development Education

Daniel O Donoghue
Participant

I think that development education is a crucial aspect of education today. It helps students understand the interconnectedness of global issues and how these issues impact people, communities, and the environment. By learning about global issues, students can develop a sense of empathy and responsibility for the world around them. It is important that they come to acknowledge, As mentioned in the paper, the “complex mixture of privileges and disadvantages with which you personally juggle, and that which your neighbour juggles”

To include development education in my teaching, I would incorporate global issues into the curriculum by selecting topics that are relevant to the students and their lives. For example, if I were teaching a science class, I would incorporate discussions about climate change and its impact on the environment. If I were teaching an SPHE class, I would incorporate discussions about human rights and social justice. Additionally, I would use real-world examples to help students see the relevance of their learning.

To encourage my colleagues to plan development education activities throughout our school, I would suggest collaborating on interdisciplinary projects that involve global issues. For example, we could organize a school-wide event to raise awareness about a particular issue, such as poverty or access to education. We could also provide resources and training for teachers who are interested in incorporating development education into their curriculum. By working together, we can help students develop a deeper understanding of the world around them and become responsible global citizens.

Scroll to Top