Reply To: Module 3 – Global Inequality

Sean Finlay
Participant

<span style=”color: #163c42; font-family: ‘Hind Madurai’, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;”>The Sustainable Development Goal that I have chosen is Number 12, Responsible Consumption and Production. Coming from a very large urban school, we have a real mix of pupils coming from underpriviliged and priviliged backgrounds. Some of these pupils will be acutely aware of how important it is not to waste food, to compost where possible, and some parents may be more innovative when using foods. The EPA estimate that each household in Ireland wastes 130kg of food each year, the equivalent of 700e annually and a total cost of 1.29 billion euro each year. I believe pupils would be shocked qt those figures and would be eager to learn about practical solutions to reduce food waste such as brown bins and composting which they could bring home to encourage their parents. I believe the Green Schools also could play an important role in this by designing a plan for the school to reduce the amount of food waste in our school which they did very effectively with water this year which resulted in each pupil using 4 litres less daily on average. Furthermore, responsible consumption and production globally goes beyond just food waste and children should learn about the effects of fast fashion and the damage it causes the environment and the exploitation that occurs where appropriate so that they can make more informed decisions when it comes to buying clothes in the future. From this education and taking action at an individual and local level, I believe pupils would be more empowered in achieving SDG Goal 12.</span>

Scroll to Top