Reply To: Module 4 – Migration and Refugees

Linda Hennessy
Participant

Similar to Marese above, the town that I live in does not currently have one designated organisation that works with refugees in the community. However, the local GAA organisations and sports groups have many initiatives in place for the families that have moved to the area. There was a disused nursing home purchased recently and this has become a hive of activity in the area. Refugees are living there but have become valued members of the wider community. This is mainly down to one particular group within the GAA who organise fundraisers etc and most recently, a family fun day which was a huge success. This group have a facebook page and this has proved invaluable for the new members of the community as the navigate life in a new country, many with young children.

For us as a school community, working with refugees has been completely new to us this year. It was an experience I think we all needed in many regards. The children of our school have a new-found appreciation for their place of privilege and we, as adults, are hearing about a side of the world we might have only seen on a map or heard fleetingly about in the news. The welcome our new families received has been a sight to behold, with homes being offered, hurleys and helmets dropped to children to help integrate with the community and my favourite memory to date – the addition that these children offered to our sacrament of Holy Communion. It is heart warming to see others so open to our customs and traditions and just throwing themselves in head first and enjoying all that we have to offer. The cultural difference was of course difficult at the start and we all needed to know our boundaries and accept them of each other, but the payoff has been immense and rewarding.

le for the

Scroll to Top