Reply To: Module 2 – Gender

Marese Heavin
Participant

Gender Stereotype certainly affects my pupils. Teaching in a small rural school with a ratio of boys to girls at 2:1, I feel the tendancy is to be traditional in regards chores in the home. By traditional I mean the job options have been passed down from genearation to generation. My pupils live in close proximity to their grandparents, who for the most part play a huge role in their lives and therefore the gender stereotype is difficult to move away from.

An example of gender stereotyping in my classroom occured early in September. I had just moved to the school and I was finding my way with a multi grade class. The composter bin needed emptying and one of the girls asked if she could do it, immediately one of the boys shouted out “That’s a boy job!”

I was completely shocked. Discussing this further, it became evident that a previous teacher had listed the classroom jobs as boy jobs and girl jobs……….Needless to say this was not the case in my room and we spent a great deal of time learning about equality and rights and doing what we can to keep our school clean, tidy and  doing jobs because we can do them and not because we are a boy or a girl.

This is not something that can be achieved by individuals, it takes everyone working together to achieve real change. In our school we will try to make a school effort to achieve equality in our actions and in our behaviours.

Scroll to Top