This summer TeachNet are delighted to offer their first course on ‘Google Workspace for Education’. Google Workspace for Education (formally G-Suite for education), along with Office 365, has been a prominent feature of Irish education over the past 18 months.
After Covid (AC)
Covid-19 has shone a light on the importance, and the increasing centrality, of technology to support teaching and learning. As we hopefully begin to emerge from this pandemic, we need to plan for a future that involves some form or blended learning (or technology-enhanced learning at the very least). The new ‘Digital Strategy for Schools’, due to be published in the autumn, should also make strides towards further integration and embedding of technology in teaching, learning and assessment. This course will look at how Google products can be used to enhance in-school education rather than to facilitate emergency remote teaching.
Why This Course?
We are very aware that there may be some fatigue associated with ‘online platforms’, given that we have relied upon them so heavily over the past 18 months. However, this course is very much geared at how we can make the most of ‘Google Workspace for Education’ in our classrooms. The course will give practical examples of how the Google tools can be used for:
- Whole school planning and communication
- Practical examples of using Google tools to create student activities.
- Ways to enhance student communication and collaboration
- Assessing student work
- Tracking and comparing assessment results
- Using Forms for self-assessment and formative assessment
- Creating and managing student portfolios
- Making teacher collaboration easier
Please see some sample videos on using Google Slides and Google Forms in your post-Covid classroom.
The course consists of the following 5 modules:
- Module 1 – Digital Learning and SSE
- Module 2 – Introduction to Google Workspace and Google Classroom
- Module 3 – 21st Century Skills
- Module 4 – Docs, Sheets and Forms
- Module 5 – Slides, Groups and Meet
Each module consists of an interactive presentation with a number of demonstration videos, as well as links to external resources. Participants are required to complete a 150 word forum post as part of their engagement with each module. Enrolment is now open for this course at the following link: https://teachnet.ie/courses/using-google-workspace-in-the-primary-classroom/